Founded in 2010 by a group of ambitious AmeriCorp/ VISTA volunteers, community members and students. The purpose of the Menomonie Community Garden is to create a place of sustainable agriculture and enhance community bonds by providing space for gardens, gardening education, and a gathering spot for community members. It is our goal to lead by example and establish a legacy of stewardship for the land for upcoming generations.
What do Community Gardens do for a community:
* Increase a sense of community ownership.
* Foster the development of community identity.
* Are recognized by many police departments as an effective community crime prevention strategy.
* Allow people from diverse backgrounds to work side-by-side on common ground without speaking the same language
* Are healthy, inexpensive activity for youth that can bring them closer to nature, and allow them to interact with each other in a socially meaningful and physically productive way.
* Allow families and individuals without land of their own and opportunity to produce food.
* Increase the consumption of fresh local produce.
* Increase property values in the immediate vicinity where they are located.
* Add beauty to the community and heighten people’s awareness and appreciation for living things.
2016 Plot Rental Prices
The Menomonie Community Garden is fiscally
supported by Farmer to Farmer a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
"Farmer to Farmer envision agriculture that is sustainable and respectful of the earth, that remains in the hands of the people who live and work the land. We support grassroots agricultural projects that are democratically initiated
and managed. We affirm the sacredness of the earth and work for and respect the rights of all peoples and cultures to self-determination." - Farmer to Farmer Vision